Your pet will most likely be exposed to intestinal parasites, at one time or another, during their lifetime. Many intestinal parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms can make your pet very sick. Puppies and kittens can be especially susceptible to them and are often infected before birth by transmission from their mother.
Transmission can also happen by ingesting infected feces or a contaminated outside environment. Symptoms of intestinal parasitic infection can range from vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, weight loss and even death. Some pets may not show any signs they are infected.
Intestinal parasites can be zoonotic, which means they can be transmitted to humans. Children are more vulnerable to infection. It is recommended to have your pet’s stool sample tested annually for intestinal parasites. If your pet does test positive for parasites, your veterinarian will prescribe a deworming medication for your pet that treats the parasite diagnosed on the fecal exam.
There are also many monthly preventatives that your veterinarian can recommend to give to your pet to help them stay parasite-free. Give us a call at (860) 489-4231 or ask your veterinarian during your next visit and we’d be happy to help choose the right products for your pet.