Pet poisons Plants and flowers keep homes and yards looking beautiful, but many can be toxic to your pets and make them very sick. Pets explore their environment by using their senses and are susceptible to accidental poisoning from chewing and ingesting household plants and flowers. Often the pet doesn’t have to eat the whole plant to feel the toxic effects, just the leaves or roots will be enough. If you have a pet that eats plants or gets into everything, you are encouraged to pet-proof your home against toxic plants and flowers to keep your pets safe and happy.

Some common toxic plants for dogs include aloe, bittersweet, holly, crocus, azalea, daffodils and tulips. When it comes to cats, lilies, milkweed, morning glory, ivy, chrysanthemum, azaleas and aloe should be avoided. There are a wide range of symptoms that your pet may experience after ingesting a toxic plant or flower. Symptoms may include mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, hyper-salivation, ataxia, tremors, seizures and even death.

If you believe your pet may have ingested a plant or flower that may be harmful to them, please do not wait for symptoms to appear. By that time, it may be too late. Call the 24-hour Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661 or Animal Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435 and your local veterinarian for follow up treatment immediately. Provide them with the type of plant or flower that was ingested, amount, and time-frame of when the ingestion occurred. They will be able to determine if the plant is harmful, and let you know if medical treatment is necessary for your pet.

For more information, you can visit the pet poison control website at or the ASPCA website at for a list of poisonous plants and other toxic substances.